Countryside

Scanz Map 10-13 Country
Scanz 10 kingshill Lutheran Church

“Historic Churches, St. Croix Heritage Trail”

          © St. Croix Landmarks Society

Countryside

9. Friedensfeld "Field of Peace" Midlands Moravian Church.
 Dedicated in 1852, this lovely wood church replaced the original structure built 1810-1819. The church retains its original exterior and interior appearances. Three flanking roof gables, structurally tied together, enclose the nave and side aisles. An open-work barrel vault functions as a ceiling, as well as a curved structural element for the black-painted center trusses, barely visible beyond. The handsome original lancet windows serve both the main floor and the balconies.

10. Kingshill Lutheran Church.
This church was built in 1912, near the end of the Danish era, to serve the residents and soldiers of the nearby Kingshill station. This structure, simple yet sophisticated, has especially handsome details and proportions. Flanking Ionic columns, east and west, frame the entry and apse. A pediment and round-based belfry and cupola mark the entry. Though the windows and interior details were changed in the 1970's, the church still retains much of its original flavor and appearance.

11. St. Ann's Catholic Church.
Originally built as a family chapel in 1815, by Christopher McEvoy Jr., a prominent planter, St. Ann's was deeded to the Catholic Church in 1897, and formally dedicated to St. Ann in 1900. Cruciform in plan, the splayed door and window openings are tied together on the exterior by a fillet molding that engages window keystones. Above is a prominent cornice molding upon which sits pediments outlined with finials matching several found in Frederiksted.

12. Holy Cross Anglican Church.
Holy Cross represents the effort of the Anglican community to extend its ministry to agricultural workers in the heavily populated central plain, the site of many sugar estates and two central factories. This 1908 structure was built of reinforced concrete, perhaps the island's first. Pier buttresses and lancet windows give the church a Gothic Revival influence, as do the exposed timbered roof trusses within.

13. St. Luke's African Methodist Episcopal Church.
Founded in 1920, and erected in 1933 by members of the St. Croix Labor Union at Estate Grove Place, this church combines some pointed African Geometries with the familiar lancet-topped window and door shapes outlined in brick of Gothic Revival. Modern applied pier buttresses, north and south, function as they do in other gothic revival examples such as Holy Cross Episcopal.

© DCJR 2013