“Historic Churches, St. Croix Heritage Trail”

          © St. Croix Landmarks Society


Scanz Map 4-8 Christiansted
Scanz 4 The Steeple Building

4. The Steeple Building.
 Originally built as the Lutheran church of Lord God of Sabaoth, 1750-53. The Baroque tower with its four-tiered octagonal cupola, reminiscent of Copenhagen's belfries, was added forty years later. In 1838, after the congregation moved to the donated Dutch Reformed Church on King Street, the building was used by the government as a military base and storehouse and later as a school, community hall and hospital. It is now administered by the National Park Service as a museum.

5. Lord God of Sabaoth Lutheran Church.
The main body of the present church was built around 1740, as a Dutch Reformed Church. It is St. Croix's oldest extant church. After 1831, the building was taken over by the Lutheran congregation as a replacement for their original church, now the Steeple Building. The most distinctive feature is the Neo-Classical tower, built in 1834, and designed by Albert Lovmand, the official architect for the Danish colonies at the time.

6. Holy Cross Catholic Church.
Originally built in 1755, Holy Cross was extensively altered in the 1850's. Architecturally striking, it combines the molded facades of San Juan's 17th Century churches, complete with engaged entry columns and elaborate cornice moldings, along with Neo-Gothic elements favored in the 19th Century. Though still impressive, the interior has been considerably altered since the 1970's, with the removal of the stenciled lime plaster and window and door changes.

7. St. John's Anglican Church.
St. John's was built in 1849-1858, replacing an earlier 1772 structure. A fire, in 1866, destroyed much of the original interior. This design and rebuilding reflects the fully realized fidelity to the Gothic Revival style prescribed for Anglican churches throughout the world. Its masonry details, three-tiered tower and elaborate hammerbeam roof framing are noteworthy.

Scanz 8 Friedensthal Moravian Church

8. Friedensthal "Valley of Peace" Moravian Church and Manse.
This mission church was founded by Moravian brethren in the 1750's to minister to enslaved Africans, conveying useful skills as well as salvation. The parish house - or manse - was built in the 1830's as both a school and dwelling. The present church of unaltered, simple elegance, built 1852-1854, features a masonry and wood pedimented entry porch.

© DCJR 2013